A few months ago, an Ohio law deemed it illegal to abort a fetus during pregnancies of more than twenty weeks. The same month, they passed a “Heartbeat Bill” that would ban abortions in that state from the moment the heartbeat of a fetus can be detected — which usually occurs about six weeks into a pregnancy (before many women even know they’re pregnant). Gov. John Kasich vetoed the measure, but it was a close call.
Now, the people who voted to enact this, were, guess what?! Men!
But that isn’t the only problem here….
In fact, a majority of pro-Trump women were merely swayed by his promise to overturn Roe v. Wade.
I’ve never had an abortion. I attribute this mostly to luck, and partially to the access I’ve been privileged enough to have for birth control. That said, abortion stigma is a real thing. It’s pervasive AF and affects both those who have had abortions and those who have not. Caring about reproductive freedom is a fundamental right. Abortion is an everyday, common, rather mundane thing. It’s shameless, not weird by any means, and has been a procedure that humans have been partaking in for centuries. When we stigmatize abortion, we disallow common discourse to take place about it.
In this post, I will be giving you two lists.
The first will consist of FACTS about abortions as well as their sources.
And If that isn’t enough, I will be giving a list of things YOU can do to truly prove to me that you are indeed as pro-life as you say you are.
Here we go, buckle up!
- Most abortions do not, I repeat- DO NOT take place past the 12 week mark. If they do, it is usually because of circumstances that would call for it. Read more about it here.
- At 8 weeks, the fetus is literally the size of a kidney bean. It cannot feel pain, it has not developed consciousness. Read more about it here.
- Abortion death rate – .01% making it one of the safest procedures in medicine. In fact, risk of dying during childbirth is 13% higher!
- 20 weeks + is when babies develop a neocortexes and the brain starts showing patterns of waking consciousness. This is also what people refer to as “when person-hood begins.” Read more here.
- Almost 90% of abortions are within the first 12 weeks. These are done with a simple pill. No surgery, no dismemberment. Read more here.
- Late term abortions are very hard to get. They require the approval of two different doctors and only in cases of emergencies, are approved. Read more here.
- Rape. Sorry, don’t even need a source here. If a woman was raped, an abortion shouldn’t be hard to get nor should her rape be questioned whatsoever.
- Younger people getting pregnant – young people are five times more likely to die during childbirth and the baby itself has a 60% chance of dying if the young adult’s body is not ready for the pregnancy. Read more here.
- Abortion is a thing. It has always been a thing. It will always be a thing. Let it be safe for the women who need/want it for their well-being.
So let’s say these facts can’t convince you. Well, if you consider yourself Pro-Life, I’d like you to prove it. So here’s a list of things you can and quite frankly, MUST, do to prove to me that you are indeed, Pro-Life:
- Make SURE your local schools are teaching comprehensive (and I mean, covering EVERYTHING!) sex-ed and that condoms AND birth control are easily and affordably accessible for E V E R Y O N E.
- Free cancer screenings and OBGYN services. Straight up.
- Minimum wage? Raise it. If you expect everyone who gets pregnant to be able to provide for their child, a minimum wage job some be more than enough.
- Paid family (mom AND dad) leave.
- The adoption process costs approximately $10,000.00 to merely kick off- you better be helping these families that want to adopt save up that money anyway you can.
- Support public schools- volunteer your time teaching, babysitting the kicks, feeding the kicks, etc.
- Volunteer your time at sanctuary cities housing children as well as their families coming from war zones, etc.
- (7 continued) One would assume you are very much pro-immigration.
- Recycling everything, riding your bike when you can, taking all necessary steps to save the planet from its ultimate climate-change-induced demise. Rising ocean levels have already displaced and killed many.
- Don’t get me started on Obamacare – You BETTER be all for it! After all, healthcare = life.
If you don’t do all of the above (and then some), then you can claim to be pro-life and come at me with your anti-choice rhetoric.
If you’re not doing it, then you just want to control women.
Want to support Julie? Become a Patron below!