Calling all single parents who are residents or attend school in Newton or Jasper Counties! There is a scholarship program that is built just for you. It is called ASPIRE, and the application deadline is quickly approaching.
Created in 2010, the Aspire Scholarship Program provides incentive scholarships to low-income, single parents pursuing a professional degree at a college, university, or technical school. The program’s goal is to help individuals attain an education, graduate, and obtain well-paid, skilled employment allowing them to break the cycle of poverty and create a brighter economic future.
The $1000 scholarship for full-time students is given directly to the student, allowing them to use it towards their most pressing expenses. There are up to $500 in merit awards that can also be earned. Part-time students are encouraged to apply as well, with scholarships being based on hours enrolled. Students are supported by the nonprofit’s board, who are also members of the community. They are available to provide resources and references to the students as needed. An individual who qualifies for the scholarship as an undergraduate will also be able to apply for additional funds in grad school.
To qualify, one must fit the following criteria:
- A resident of or attending school in Jasper or Newton County
- Single head of household (single, legally separated, divorced, widowed) and not cohabiting with an ex-spouse or partner; with primary physical custody of one or more children under the age of 21
- Earned a high school diploma or GED
- Attending a college or university part-time (at least 6 to 11 credit hours per semester) or full time (at least 12 credit hours per semester)
- Recipient of a Pell Grant
- Pursuing a career-oriented course of study to ensure a better standard of living for your family
- Applicants cannot already have earned an undergraduate degree.
The deadline for fall 2021 is May 15, 2021, and for the spring semester, the deadline is November 15, 2021. The application and more information can be found at http://www.aspirescholarship.org